BBM HISTORY

BBM HISTORY

The whole district of Keonjhar was a princely state before its merger with Odisha province on 1st January 1948. King Pratap Balabhadra Bhanj was one of the great rulers of Kendujhar who ruled from 1762 A.D to 1797 A.D. The Sanskrit Play “Bhanja Mahadoyam” written by Sri Nilakantha Mishra, the then royal poet and later on edited by Pandit Banambar Acharya in 1946, depicts about the king’s invasion of the then princely state of Bamanda in March 1784 A.D and its annexation with Kendujhar . In that famous war, a person from the village, Harichandanpur who was a close relative of the king and also appointed as the treasurer in king’s exchequer because of his faithfulness and dedication, was a reputed and furious warrior (Wrestler) who defeated and killed his opponents and brought the victory for the king. The king was greatly impressed and adorned him with a royal title of “ Mandhata Harichandan” and to commemorate the name of  this great hero his place of birth was named after him as “ HARICHANDANPUR”.

The erstwhile Harichandanpur village has now become the headquarters of Harichandanpur Block, constituted on 1st October’1959 with seven Gram Panchayats,  one High School and limited number of M.E and Primary Schools. But after 1980s the numbers of High Schools, M.E and Primary Schools have increased manifold which called for the establishment of an institution of higher education in this locality. In response to such a challenge some enthusiast benevolent of this locality proposed to set up of an educational institution in Harichandanpur Block for higher education on 01.04.1983 on the ground that this being one of the largest block of Odisha in respect of area, predominated by Scheduled Tribe population and socio-economically poorer section of the society, has been deprived of such an important social overhead over a long period of time and if this continues the people of this region would remain isolated from the mainstream of the nation. Because education is imperative for the formation of human capital and this in turn is indispensable for socio-economic and cultural development of the country. Their cherished hope was that this institution would act as a beacon light to this area to pull up the underprivileged youth to the national mainstream of art, culture, science and technology. Moreover, there were 16 High Schools in this block at that time and the number of pass-outs was about 300 per annum, who were destined by their poverty and misery complemented by lack of transportation and communication facilities, to drop their carrier for higher education in the midst of obscurity. As a first step towards achieving the desired goal the Governing Body of the college was constituted vide Resolution No-01/dated 01.04.1983 and got the same registered under the Society Registration Act’1860 vide No 270-60/ dated 19.03.1984. Amidst the lush green surroundings and the verdure of the sky, in a misty morning of 1st January 1987, they folded their fist to give it a reality, resolving unanimously vide Resolution No-07/ dated 01.01.1987. The college came in to existence on 01.01.1987 being christened as “Harichandanpur College”. Classes started from 17.08.1987 in Harichandanpur High School with 44 students in +2 Ist Year Arts. Within a short period of time the college, renaming itself as ‘Brajabandhu Mahavidyalaya” vide G.B.Resolution No-15/dated 29.11.1987, shifted to its present site  on the bank of a sacred river of meandering MUSAL that tumbes down majestically from the foothills of Meghanad of Kaliahata, clad in green with its rare flora and fauna. The institution has already celebrated its 25th Anniversary in the year 2012 commemorating the glorious past achievements during its path of journey fulfilling the long cherished desire of the people of this area in general and the sweet dreams of umpteen generous sons of the soil in particular who toiled hard to give a reality to the higher education among the most obliterated and neglected tribal community.